I had a go at the tunic on my Scots levy last night. Overall I think it went pretty well. The experience was entirely less stressful than the face and hands. Not sure if that was because those bits are so much smaller or because it was my first time. Or both. I didn't feel like I needed a smaller brush either. I used a 0, a 00, and a 3/0 (all from Rosemary & Co.'s 323 spotter series).
I feel like I went a little overboard with the highlight color and that it's a tad too light as well. It looks like his tunic has been through the washer/dryer cycle a few thousand times! Initially I added one drop of matte white to my base color and thought it didn't look different enough. Two drops is evidently too much though. Maybe next time I'll go with a 3:2 ratio. In hindsight the shade tone may be too dark as well. I guess there is something to be said for subtlety and what looks wrong on the palette might look right on the figure (and vice versa).
While doing the highlights I guess I got so engrossed with where to put paint, I neglected to check the state of my brush. I ended up practically dry brushing some parts as I had gone too long with out a dip in fresh paint. I figure that will resolve itself with practice as I won't have to think so much about what to paint where. I did get out the wet palette last night and I think that helped as when I go so slowly the paint on the palette tends to goop up as well.
Still a long way to go on the confidence of my brush strokes, but that will come. All-in-all I'm very pleased with the results so far.