Thursday, June 13, 2013

Paint it black!

OK, OK! I know I said I was all set to dive in and complete the rest of my Scots army. But then I saw this amazing image of some expertly painted Vikings on another blog and I began to wonder if the Army Painter dip method was ever going to be good enough for me.



The gentlemen that painted them was kind enough to answer my questions via email and although the technique he used is very involved and most certainly beyond my skill, I have decided that some more experimentation is necessary.

I'm going to try my hand at the three tone technique. I've asked for the figure painting bible for Father's Day. I realize this will take some practice and to that end I've primed up another levy that I'm prepared to strip ad infinitum. I didn't have any black spray primer so I've brushed him up with some Humbrol Matt Black enamel that I'd bought for base-coating the chainmail of my white-primered armored blokes.


Hubris? Perhaps. Will he ever get his army painted? Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

4 comments:

  1. If you need any advice I have painted in the 2-tone and 3-tone sytle for 20 odd years now (I might even get good at it soon) check out Steve-dean forum for great eye candy just google Steve Dean Painter
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James. Any good tutorial videos you know of?

      Delete
  2. These archers are looking very nice, great paintjob!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete