Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dark Age house test wall (part 2)

Had a blast dry brushing the test wall. I think it came out pretty well. Learned a few things too.

Finished Construction

First coat of cheap craft black paint (added a second later)

Wood dry-brushed with cheap craft Burnt Umber 

Wood dry-brushed with cheap craft Spice Brown

Wood dry-brushed with cheap craft Bridgeport Grey

Wattle dry-brushed Charcoal, then Hippo Grey,
then Bridgeport Grey, then Antique White

Key takeaways:
  • Paint the wattle first - I ended up having to touch-up the wood beams quite a bit
  • Scuff up the boards well BEFORE assembly - especially the edges
  • Not happy with the plastic-coated paper business card I used for the door horizontals - it didn't take to texturing very well (or perhaps I forgot to do it!)
  • I need some different sized wood - the coffee stirrers are too thick and a pain to cut down
All in all, pleased as punch with how it turned out though. Good fun!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, can't wait to see a finished building. I need to make some buildings for SAGA so thanks for sharing your method. Cheers, Paul.