I experimented with diluting the paints this go. I think I might have overdid it. I used a drop of Vallejo Thinner Medium to a drop of the Army Painter Warpaint. I felt like it was a battle to get the color on. For the second coat I opted not to dilute and thought it went on much better. This gave me an idea for highlighting: apply the first coat undiluted and the second coat diluted. The color of the second coat will pool in the deeper areas and darken the color tone there. Maybe.
Obviously I've got more work to do on my flash finding and removal skills. Witness his left shoulder. Sigh. I guess I can always pretend its a fold line in the linen...
One thing I noticed my self doing while painting was holding my breath. I think it was because I was trying so hard to be precise with the brush. My shoulders keep coming up to my ears too. I had to consciously remind myself to relax and enjoy. This is a hobby after all!
I've got mixed feelings about the flesh tone primer. I can definitely see that I've got to be super careful about paint coverage afterwards. But I do like the fact that I'm "saving a step." I guess I'll reserve judgement until things progress a little more.
Next up some more color blocking and then experimenting with different wash/shading techniques.