Saturday, May 3, 2014

Dark Age house test wall (part 3)

It took a while for my to source some balsa, but I'm liking it better than liberated coffee stirrers for the bracing on the new test wall. It cuts more easily, it takes texture better, and it looks more true to scale. 

I bought 3" x 1/16" x 36" balsa sheets and trimmed them to size. I cut it into more manageable 12" sections as soon as I got it home. I'm a big fan of the Alumicutter ruler, but it's still harder than I thought to keep the cuts straight. Might invest in a stripper if I keep this type of work up.


Went with balsa sheets and cut to size
Basic structure in place
Didn't fancy the last carved foam door, so went with balsa
Didn't want foam showing by the door jam, so cut in some shims
Close up of the knotty door and jam
Jazzy door pull courtesy of the wife's jewelry making supplies
Close-up of the door & pull
After two coats of dilute black craft acrylic

I'm thinking I should use 1/8" balsa (2x thickness) at the corners and door jam. Basically anywhere you can see two sides of the wood. Guess we'll find out when I attach another wall to this puppy!

That's all for now. Looking forward to dry brushing this one up.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool, nice level of detail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete