Wednesday, May 7, 2014
It seems they've found the oldest settlement in Britain --- again. At Vespasian's Camp near Amesbury (famous for Stonehenge) scientists have carbon-dated auruch bones back to 8800BC. Follow the link to read the article on archaeology.org.
So last I left you I had primered test wall #2 with cheap black acrylic. It's easy to see below that it's much harder to hide the PVA under the skinnier balsa wood.
The wattle & daub dry-brushed with some greys and a white.
The wood was done with browns mixed down repeatedly with light ivory.
I still need to weather the door pull. Probably just dry-brush with silver.
Here's a comparison between the first and second test walls. It became pretty obvious the foam core has a grain to it. I'm not sure which I prefer looks-wise, but the horizontal seems less resistant to warping.
Saturday, May 3, 2014
It took a while for my to source some balsa, but I'm liking it better than liberated coffee stirrers for the bracing on the new test wall. It cuts more easily, it takes texture better, and it looks more true to scale.
I bought 3" x 1/16" x 36" balsa sheets and trimmed them to size. I cut it into more manageable 12" sections as soon as I got it home. I'm a big fan of the Alumicutter ruler, but it's still harder than I thought to keep the cuts straight. Might invest in a stripper if I keep this type of work up.
|Went with balsa sheets and cut to size|
|Basic structure in place|
|Didn't fancy the last carved foam door, so went with balsa|
|Didn't want foam showing by the door jam, so cut in some shims|
|Close up of the knotty door and jam|
|Jazzy door pull courtesy of the wife's jewelry making supplies|
|Close-up of the door & pull|
|After two coats of dilute black craft acrylic|
I'm thinking I should use 1/8" balsa (2x thickness) at the corners and door jam. Basically anywhere you can see two sides of the wood. Guess we'll find out when I attach another wall to this puppy!
That's all for now. Looking forward to dry brushing this one up.